Thursday, November 14, 2013

Satisfaction: Play-doh, Bread, Social Media.

Open twitter, scroll around, but it's not there.

Next up... Instagram:
check the feed, see who liked my posts, explore some hashtags, but it's not there.

Facebook: 
Recheck what's new in the past five minutes, see who's online, have some chats with friends, but it's not there.

Maybe Snapchat?
Should I send text messages?
Maybe I should watch TV or play some games...
I open up twitter again...
Wait, what am I doing?

What I want isn't there. Is it because nobody is posting? Am I waiting for her to post something? But I'm not a creep. And I don't want to wait around for something that I can see happen. Should I post something then? I should definitely post something... well that didn't really help... What is this that is driving me? What is this desire?

Sound familiar? I feel like it should. I know this feeling all too familiarly. Emptiness. Wanting purpose. I think we all know that we don't have satisfaction from these things.

Maybe we are just like kids with play-doh. I've been doing a lot of babysitting recently. The kids act up when they don't have something to do. They get antsy. But when you give them play-doh, then they are busy. They are being stimulated because the play-doh is interactive. They don't really make anything either. Most of the time they just mess around with it, but even if they make something really cool, it doesn't last. Play-doh time is over and their creation is forgotten. What lasts?

Because this isn't like this is just a problem for kids with play-doh or for big kids with social media. Even if I make the coolest Instagram post, have a million followers, etc. I know that I'm not going to feel good about life. What is satisfying? 

God asks this question:

Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?



Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live;"


It's convicting to hear. It isn't that satisfaction is far away. It isn't that a full life doesn't exist. It's that I refuse to live. No, I want to live, I want satisfaction, but I want to make it. I want to think that I know better, that I can make something more satisfying than what God will give me. 

This isn't just a call to read your bible more. Jesus rebukes the religious leaders of his day with this:

"You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life."

Ugh. 

tl;dr

I consider Jesus my best friend, but too often, I refuse him. I can choose my own lifelessness. But I am empty. I need to trust the one person who will never hurt me. It makes sense. Jesus is satisfying.

2 comments: